Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Thankful Thursday

Today I am incredibly excited! My parents and nephew come into town for Jack's Birthday!!!  They should be here by the time I get off work.  I can't wait to sit around the dinner table tonight and laugh and have fun and I am looking forward to coffee tomorrow morning with my mom while holding Jack too! Then on Saturday we will celebrate the most wonderful boy in all the land!! JACK!!!


Yesterday, I was pretty bummed out because I learned that 90% of detected Down syndrome pregnancies are aborted.  I couldn't help but be sad and angry by that. After all, Jack is turning one year old, but he has been alive for much longer than than..he was alive in utero.    I hope and pray over time and through education that people become more aware and that staggering statistic drops lower and lower and lower. And I pray for women everywhere who are getting a diagnosis today, tomorrow, in the future, who feel they have a choice to make...Oh I hope they choose based on love and education.  I hope they are able to see the blessing that life will be..we all know it's hard, but I think we can all say - that the blessing of having a child with special needs far outweigh any and all difficulties. I hope one day I will get to advocate more for our son and for all people with DS.  I know that Jack is changing lives just by his existence and I am humbled to be apart of it.

Completely different note: I came across this - this morning and it made me soo very happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su78LXwMJtY&feature=player_embedded

Please watch and learn more about their story at:
www.monicaanddavid.com

I can't wait to post photos from Jack's 1st Birthday!  Have a great weekend everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I edited this post. A lady wrote to me telling that my words were harsh. I had originally stated that it gives me hope that more DS pregnancies are not diagnosed in utero....This un-diagnosis would mean that less women are given the option for abortion which would mean that less DS children are aborted. I was speaking out of sadness of the 90% of diagnosed pregnancies that are aborted. For those who are diagnosed and decide to keep their child, I respect and know that the time you have to plan and prepare is precious to your families - I was not saying that you should not have gotten the diagnosis...I am glad you did and I am glad you chose life. Thank you for your comment and insight anonymous reader...you have made me aware of my comments and how they could offend, which was not my intention.
    blessings.

    ReplyDelete